These little guys called Marzipan Potatoes won’t win the beauty contest, but they definitely can play along with cookies and cakes. You will find Marzipan Potatoes probably only in Germany during the Holiday season. And I think most Germans cannot imagine Christmas without them, that’s why friend of us here in San Francisco spent $8 on the smallest bag I have ever seen. Patrick is also a big fan of marzipan, so to make these big guys happy I made a huge bowl only for them. They are well supplied until Easter. And if you like marzipan too, you might consider making these sweet treats as edible gifts or just for you to snack on during the holiday season.
Here is what you need( makes 40 potatoes)
– 14 oz marzipan
– 1/2 cup heavy cream
– 1 cup dark chocolate chips
– 4 tbsp unsweetened cacao powder
What to do:
1. Place chocolate chips in heat proof bowl. In a sauce pan bring the heavy cream on medium heat to shimmer. Remove from heat. Set aside for 2 minutes.
2. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
3. Pour the cream over the chocolate chips, so that all chocolate chips are submerged by the cream. Let them sit for 2 minutes undisturbed. With a spatula start stirring the chocolate chips in the middle of the bowl until they are completely melded and smooth.
4. Pour the mixture on one cookie sheet and spread evenly. Place in the freezer and let it there for about 30-45 minutes.
5. Roll out the marzipan and cut out small circles. You can use a round cookie cutter.
6. Take the ganache out of the freezer and with a teaspoon scrape some ganache so you can form mini balls that can fit into the marzipan circles. Place all the ganache balls on the circles before you start rolling the marzipan potatoes.
7. Now form the marzipan with your hands into potatoes. This part can get a little bit messy as the ganache will come out while you are rolling the marzipan, but that doesn’t matter because your are going cover the potatoes with cocoa. And as they are potatoes they also don’t have to be perfectly shaped. Coat the potatoes with cocoa.
8. Transfer the marzipan potatoes to the second cookie sheet and let them chill in the refrigerator for about 20 min.
I hope you will enjoy this and if you make them let me know.