When it’s cold outside I love having a big bowl of a delicious, hearty, hot soup. It warms me up and it makes me immedialtely forget the 20 minutes wait in the chilliness for the next bus. My friends might feel the same way these days so I invited them to join me after work for a bowl of my favorite winter soup and some easy to make snacks. There seams to be nothing better than gathering friends around spontaneously for good food. Don’t get me wrong, perfectly planned dinner parties are great, I love them, but sometimes it’s just nice to spent only one hour in the kitchen and you are done. Place everything on the table so everyone can help themselves and you can enjoy your dinner too. That evening on the menu: a potato soup – my favorite one, a mushroom-bacon mix to sprinkle over and pigs in blankets as a snack. Adding just some fresh baguette, pesto and sour creme rounds out this quick and easy dinner. As a dessert I made super easy baked apple rings. They are so delicious – give them a try! The pot was empty after only 30 minutes but our after work gathering went until late night and I’m already looking forward to another one. How about you? How do you like to entertain your guest on wintery evenings?
Scroll down for the recipes:
What you need:
– 2lb potatoes
– 1large onion
– 2 tbsp oil
– 3 tsp dried rosemary
– 3 tsp thyme
– 2 cups vegetable broth
– 3 bay leaves
– some minced chives to garnish
What to do:
1. Chop the onion finely. Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them into wedges.
2. Heat the oil in a large pot, add minced onion, potatoes, salt, pepper to taste and sauteé for 5 minutes while stirring.
3. Add rosemary and thyme and sauteè for another 3 minutes.
4. Pour the broth to the potatoes so they are fully covered, add the bay leaves and cook until potatoes are completely tender.
5. Turn the heat off. take the bay leaves out and pureé the potatoes with an electric hand blender.
6. Turn the heat on and cook for 5 more minutes on low heat.
If the soup is too thick add some broth diluted with water.
Pigs in a blanket ( about 26 pieces)
What you need:
– 1 puff pastry sheet
– mini hot dogs
– 1 egg yolk beaten to egg wash.
What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 375°. Layer a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Roll out the puff pastry and cut it into small stripes so you can wrap it around the mini hot dog.
3. Place them on the baking sheet and brush the pigs with the egg wash.
4. Bake for about 25 minutes until the pastry is golden.
Sautee 10oz mushrooms with 4oz diced bacon in 2 tbsp until mushrooms are brown and bacon crispy. About 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and thyme.