I finally got the memo, too. If you want to keep up with healthy eating you just HAVE to prepare food in advance. There is no way around. It might not always be easy to be prepared for cravings, but since the whole30 adventure I’m trying to stick with the healthy habits and fill our fridge mostly with whole30 approved things. Kale sure belongs to group of good choices. I wasn’t always a huge kale fan, but here in San Francisco you cannot hide from it – with the time I took it in my heart. I tasted one salad here, another salad there and found a kale-beet salad that I really like at my favorite local grocery store – Haight Street Market. This store is so good. Their deli is for me unbeatable. A wide range on salads, sandwiches, meats, fish, greek inspired snacks – I think the owners are from Greece – soups, sushi, roasted chicken and so much more. And everything for really reasonable prices. Also their veggies and fruits are the most affordable I have found in all of the markets in SF. If you find yourself in Haight Ashbury, give them a try. But back to the kale-beet salad…It’s actually a simple one with beets, grated carrots and sunflower seeds tossed in a light soy vinaigrette. The beets are soft and the kale is steamed but crunchy enough. Hello lunch staple!
The only thing is, when I’m strictly practicing the whole30 diet it’s not compatible because of the soy. I used to substitute sometimes meat and milk for tofu and soy milk, but figured out that actually anything with soy was giving me hard time on my stomach. Now when I want to drink milk I stick with the normal one or opt for almond milk if there is some. For the upcoming days of whole30 ( at least I will try – it’s not easy when you are having too many guests visiting) I changed the dressing for this salad and added also some golden beets. It’s super easy, make a big batch and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days. Grab one for lunch and because you are not spending time preparing it, you can use the time to enjoy your break somewhere outside, even if it’s only the stoop.
KALE-BEET SALAD INSPIRED BY HAIGHT STREET MARKET
You will need for 4 servings:
– 2 bunch kale
– 5-6 beets (golden & red)
– 1 cup shreddered carrots
– 2 tbsp sunflowers seeds
– 4tbsp olive oil
– fresh pressed juice from 1 lemon
– 2 tbsp fresh mint, minced
– pinch salt & pepper
What to do:
Note: This step is optional, you can also definitely use fresh kale, pre-washed and pre-cut if you like. That’s totally fine.
– Bring a big pot 1/3 filled with water to boil. Wash the kale and remove the stem. See here how to remove kale stems. Add the kale to the boiling water and blanch for about 5 minutes. Drain the water, rinse kale with cold water to stop it cooking and press out the water. Cut the kale and leave it in a big bow to dry.
– Meanwhile bring again water to boil. Peel the beets, wash them, cut in wedges and add to boiling water. When beets are cut in wedges they only need about 15 minutes or make the fork test if they are soft but not mushy. Drain the water and let the beets cool off for few minutes.
– Make the dressing. In a jar combine all ingredients together and shake well. Done.
– Add the beets and the carrots to the kale. Toss with some dressing and sprinkle with sunflower seeds. And your salad is done. Enjoy!